Sunday, September 21, 2008

Remembering Grandpa Roylance

As a tradition growing up, I have always gone to my Grandparents house on Sundays. As I have gotten married and had children, it is still something we try to do every week. My grandpa Dirk passed away about four years ago and I really miss him. As the kids and I were driving to my grandmas, I decided to make the day about my grandpa. I remember when I was little, he would often take me, my siblings, and cousins to McDonald's to get ice cream cones. Then we would go over to Sugar House park and play. He didn't talk alot, but it was always a very special activity to me. So before we made it to my grandmas, I stopped by the same McDonald's and started to tell the kids how I used to do this with my grandpa. I told them alot of stories about him on the way to the park. When we got there, we played and played. It was so fun to think about him and remember him. Not because it was his birthday, or a Holiday. But because we can turn any day into a grandpa day and remember people we love.

He taught me many things that I am so very grateful for. I remember his always showing me his National Geographic books. He always wanted to have fun and go boating. Even though most of the time the boat didn't work. It was fun to be on the lake anyway. I love and miss you grandpa!


1 comment:

Jen Hinton said...

Cute Katie... you are so sweet.
I miss him so much too! I love your idea of making any day a day to remember someone. I am sure it meant a lot to him and to your kids.

The Holidays, fostering, college, mission, and trips

 The Holidays are approaching fast, and here we are again facing them with 4 extra precious girls. I have been pretty emotional the last two...