Thursday, May 7, 2009

Derby

Sage had his first Pinewood Derby with the Scouts. He was SO excited. Nate and Sage worked for a few weeks on his car. It payed off. His car beat everyone that he raced. I was really impressed. The girls came and sat on the front lines and cheered everyone on.


The winning car!

These are all of the cars that Sages car beat.

Ready, set, GO!


Sage is so lucky that he has grandparents who love him so much. Ed and Lorna love to come to everything they can to support their grand kids. Ed took Sage early so they could weigh in the car. They were able to add a few pennies.

Aspen, McKenna, and Raegan were Sages cheerleaders.


This is a horrible picture of me. I am pregnant and so sick. It reflects perfectly how I was feeling. If you notice Sages lip is huge. He had just been through a terrible bike accident. I wish I would have taken pictures, but I am still in shock. Sage was riding his bike outside and Nate and I heard the most horrible, loud, terrifying scream. We ran outside and Sage was standing in the street bawling hysterically. Nate ran to him. I froze. Nate came running to me yelling to find a Dentist and handed me Sages two front permanent teeth. I about collapsed. Sage came in the house with Nate. He was screaming "I'm dying, I'm dying." Nate and I were in total panic mode. I told him we needed to just go straight to the hospital. He wanted me to call a Dentist. There are two in the family and my best friend Kandices husband is a pediatric Dentist. I called Brent, no answer. Called Kandice, few she answered. She was talking to Paul and they told me to run up to the hospital. As I was driving she told me to pull over and put the teeth back in. I couldn't. I get the bad mom award. I just knew there was no way I could pin him down and put teeth back in his gums. So she told me to put them in milk. Sage was screaming the whole way "I'm going to die mom". I was trying to keep it together. We ran into the emergency and everyone was staring and it was packed in there. Sage had blood all over him, and so did I. I gave the nurse the teeth and instructed her to put them in milk. We waited a minute or two to be seen and thank heavens Nate arrived ten minutes behind us. The nurse took us to a room off of the Emergency room. The Dentist was on his way but told her to put the teeth in. They had four people come in to hold him down. I couldn't keep in together anymore. I walked out of the little room am lost it. I cried and cried. Everyone was staring at me and I didn't care. I kept thinking "nothing could be worse." Then Nate peeked his head out and said "Katie come look at his teeth". Giving me that look that means be careful what you say. Sage opened his SO swollen mouth and I felt sick. His teeth were put back in backwards. I'm not aggressive but I wanted to strangle the nurse and yell really mean words. I had to go back out and I put my face to the wall and cried hysterically. I thought for sure I would go into labor. The Dentist came and put Sage in a chair with laughing gas. He finally was able to settle down. They had to put me in a chair to lay down because I was going to pass out. He took the teeth out, cleaned out the gums and broken pieces of bone, and put the teeth back in. He put a splint on them for the next few weeks. We were told the teeth will probably die. So we are looking at root canals in the future, gum grafting, and implants. Its going to be a long haul with these teeth. Too bad his braces had just come off and they were all straight. But I'm so thankful my boy is OK and I do know things could be so much worse. It was just so hard. I really struggled for a few days. I wanted to put all three kids on my bed and lock my door and not go any where. It just showed my how in the blink of an eye things can change so quickly. I had nightmares for a week and felt in shock for a few days. I think being so sick and pregnant made my hormones crazy and I just didn't handle this well. When Aspen had her fingers cut off when she was two, I did OK and held it together. This just pushed me over the edge.

No comments:

The Holidays, fostering, college, mission, and trips

 The Holidays are approaching fast, and here we are again facing them with 4 extra precious girls. I have been pretty emotional the last two...