Friday, May 29, 2009

Our yellow baby

Surprise Drew has Jaundice. I don't know what it is, but everyone of my babies gets it. You would think I would be used to it. But I cry every time. Drew however had it the very worst. When we left the hospital they told me to go to my pediatricians the next day. I did and she called me and said It was up to me to put him on light therapy. Her advice was to hold off and wait one more day. So what do you do? Follow your doctors advice and wait one more day for it to maybe get better, but maybe get worse. Against my better judgment I followed her advice. The following day I went in again for more blood to be drawn. I immediately got a call letting me know that Drews levels had sky rocketed and were in the very dangerous levels. If it did not go down one point quickly we would be getting blood transfusions. I was not loving my doctor at this point. The IHC man was quickly at my door teaching me how to use the light bed and light blanket. Usually they just use the blanket or the bed. But because of his high levels and the danger we were in, they double treated my little guy. I was so scared. I had to go back twelve hours later to get him checked. Needless to say, the longest twelve hours ever. But to my great relief his levels dropped two points. YES!! So we kept him on for one more day. I was so tired of getting his heal pricked and the many trips to the hospital. He had a total of six pricks. Poor baby. But of course being Jaundice they are so sleepy, so he never even knew they pricked him. Thank goodness.




See how different his skin color is than mine.

No comments:

The Holidays, fostering, college, mission, and trips

 The Holidays are approaching fast, and here we are again facing them with 4 extra precious girls. I have been pretty emotional the last two...