Wednesday, September 9, 2020

Spring and Fall baseball



Drew has loved baseball this year. In the Spring his coach from last year reached out and asked if he would join the team. With the current pandemic that has tortured us all, he played in the summer as Spring ball was cancelled. His team was the Angels and this fall he is playing with the same coach with the Royals. Drew is a great at stealing bases. I love listening to the coach tell the other kids to watch Drew. I love listening to the parents comment in the stands about how fast of a runner Drew is. He is a very fast runner and loves it when he gets to play first base. 

 Drew also started piano lessons. He is a natural!! He has had 3 lessons and will be in level two books for his fourth lesson. I was blown away. After his first lesson, he was frustrated and didn't want "baby songs", so he practiced for two hours and told me he would be learning "Pirates of the Caribbean". I informed him that it was a hard song and Sage learned it after 5 years of piano. Drew took it as a challenge and practiced two hours a day. His first lesson was on a Tuesday and by Friday he had the first line sounding amazing. I went to check his work. He had the left hand on the wrong notes. I told him that and he said "I don't know the left hand notes yet, but I tried to figure it out and this sounded right." It did! I didn't know he was in the wrong hand position until I looked myself. He has a good ear!! He is good at anything he tries. The trick with Drew is getting him to pick something. He will probably be a "Jack of all trades and a master at none" unless he picks his favorite things. He is great at climbing when he was on a climbing team. He is good at baseball, mountain biking, soccer and basketball. He excels at snow skiing and can conquer a double black diamond that scares me to even try. He can wakeboard, play the tuba, and clearly the piano. As of now it is looking like the the tuba is a thing of the past (against his teachers wishes) and the French horn could be in his future. He is thinking baseball is the sport he will stick with and the piano. He is a great speller and school comes easy for him. He is naturally more of a home body. He has friends knock on the door almost daily. He turns them away and I can NOT relate to that. When I ask why, he just tells me he doesn't want to play. He would rather be with me or someone in the family. He has zero temper, never ever cries, acts like an adult, has a natural deep voice, and is always kind and complimentary. I love my mornings with him before school. He always says something nice and is SO grateful for whatever it is I make him for breakfast. The neighbors down the street tell me often along with he neighbors around the corner...that Drew is a constant topic in their home. They tell me they are always asking their kids to act more like Drew, and why aren't they more like him (poor kids!).  They are amazed at his manors, gentle personality, how gracious he is, and how he always thanks them and asks if they need help. Drew is a blessing and I kiss the poor kid to death and tell him at least 3 times a day how obsessed with him I am. He makes friends easily and is just a likable kid with a perfect disposition. 

No comments:

The Holidays, fostering, college, mission, and trips

 The Holidays are approaching fast, and here we are again facing them with 4 extra precious girls. I have been pretty emotional the last two...