Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Compassion and Gratitude

I have been going through a book of values that my mom gave me. Every week I teach the kids a new value. This week I wanted to teach the kids about being more grateful. Our lessons ended with me realizing we had learned two new values. Being grateful (or gratitude) and being compassionate.
I showed the kids a few different videos of families and children in Africa. We all had tears in our eyes and we saw so many horrible situations. One family lived in a cement room with just one foam pad as a bed. It was full of holes and really tiny. Another family was made up of 5 brothers. There parents had died of Aids. The oldest brother was fifteen. They had no other relatives. He was in charge of trying to find food and shelter for his young siblings. That story really hit Sage. Next we saw a baby in a hospital who was dying from Malaria. If she lives she will be mentally challenged. The kids asked what that meant. I told them she wont be able to talk. Aspen said with tears in her little eyes "Mom I will give her my talking mouth. Can I pack up all my dress ups and toys and can you mail them to Africa?" I was so touched that she was realizing how much she has. Sage made a million darling comments. He decided he wants to "build houses" for a living. He said his plan is to go down there and build nice houses and hospitals for them. He told McKenna that she really should consider being a nurse when she grows up. Then she will be able to go down and help all of the sick children.
I was so happy we had such a great life lesson. As I tucked the kids in bed, they each said the most amazing prayers. There eyes were opened to what we all have. We need to be so grateful. I was so surprised at the amount of compassion that there little hearts could feel. I love these precious moments!

5 comments:

Us5McEuens said...

Can I borrow those videos for Nick. That kid has more stuff then he knows what to do with and can never get enough.

Pamela said...

What videos are they?

Jen Hinton said...

That's so awesome Kate!
You are such a wonderful mom!

saraanddevin said...

hey guess what i have a blog!! haha its so confusing!!! i love ur blog though your kids are so cute!!

zeebee said...

That is so amazing!!! I want to know what videos they are too. What a great idea, supermom.

The Holidays, fostering, college, mission, and trips

 The Holidays are approaching fast, and here we are again facing them with 4 extra precious girls. I have been pretty emotional the last two...